Fellowships, Awards, and Grants


There are a variety of resources for funding a graduate education, both internal to the University and external. Becoming familiar with the available sources of funding can help you navigate the variety of sources available.

students conversing

UCR offers a variety of multi-year funding opportunities for incoming students that may include stipends, full or partial payment of tuition and fees, and appointment as a Teaching Assistant (TA) or Graduate Student Researcher (GSR). An applicant is judged on the basis of the quality of previous academic work, the evidence of ability to do research and other creative accomplishments, and the promise of becoming a productive scholar. A contribution to the campus goal of achieving a diverse student body may also be a consideration. Fellowship/grant awards are paid from a variety of funding sources, some of which require financial data. Students who receive fellowships and full or partial teaching and research positions must register for and complete a full program of study and research each quarter, remain in good academic standing, and make acceptable progress toward their degree. 

 In addition to UCR funding opportunities, students may also explore external funding sources. More information about these types of sources can be found below.


CHASS Grant Writing Workshop Video: https://ucr.yuja.com/V/Video?v=2801304&node=9874391&a=1819800754&autoplay=1


UCR Fellowships

Eligibility criteria for recipients of fellowships: 

  • must be making acceptable progress toward their degrees (For these purposes, acceptable progress for a Ph.D. student means students must be advanced to candidacy within 12 quarters after entry and must complete the degree by the normative time to degree for the particular program plus one year; for most master's students, acceptable progress is represented by enrollment for not more than three years)
  • must have less than 8 units of Incomplete grades 
  • must maintain a 3.00 GPA
  • must enroll in and complete a full course load (12 graduate units or the equivalent)
  • changes in degree objective and/or degree program may affect eligibility for continuation of the award

Important tax information for recipients of fellowships: 

  • taxes are not automatically withheld from domestic student stipends. You may be responsible for taxes on your fellowship stipend. Any questions about taxable income should be directed to a tax professional.

    The Dissertation Research Grant provides funds to doctoral candidates for research-related expenses associated with the dissertation. Applicants must be advanced to candidacy and plan to be registered during the period of the award. Proposals may be funded up to a maximum of $2,000. Dissertation Research Grant Application 


    The Master’s Thesis Research Grant is for students enrolled in the Anthropology (M.S. degree only), Art History, Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts (main campus), Experimental Choreography, Southeast Asian Studies, and Visual Art graduate programs for the purposes of expenses directly related to thesis research. Master's Thesis Research Grant Application 


    Travel funds are available for PhD students who have advanced to candidacy in the biological, physical, agricultural, engineering, mathematics, and health sciences fields, and in interdisciplinary approaches to these fields, to attend national or international meetings/conferences. Earle C. Anthony Graduate Student Travel Awards Application 


    The GSA Conference Travel Grants help to meet the financial needs of graduate students who have been invited to present scholarly papers or posters at regional and national professional conferences. The program, administered by the UCR Graduate Student Association, and with support from the Chancellor and Graduate Division, provides funding support for both conference presenters and, to a lesser degree, attendees. The per conference and annual caps are updated annually and are available on the GSA website. 


    The Humanities Graduate Student Research Grants financially assist graduate students doing original research or creative projects in the humanities, as broadly defined by the National Endowment for the Humanities. Awards are up to $1500. The grant period runs from May through April. Extensions of the grant period should be requested in writing. Awards terminate upon leaves of absence, filing fee status, withdrawal or graduation. A student must be registered in the Spring Quarter to use these funds during the summer months. For more information go to: http://chass.ucr.edu/research/student.html


    The Graduate Research Mentoring Program (GRMP) award is intended to enhance the mentoring of domestic PhD students entering their 3rd, 4th, or 5th year of graduate school who are actively engaged in research. The Dissertation Year Program (DYP) Award is intended for MFA or PhD students who expect to complete their degree program the year in which the award is received. Eligible students can receive up to three quarters each of the DYP and GRMP fellowships and may reapply if they have not reached this max. 

    • For the DYP and GRMP application forms, please contact your graduate advisor.  Each graduate program will be submitting their nominees to Graduate Division. 

Fellowship Opportunities Outside of UCR

There are many databases and search engines that may be used to find sources of funding outside the University. Here are some links that will help you get started:

HACU (Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities) National Internship Program
The Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, founded in 1986, represents more than 500 colleges and universities in the United States, Latin America, Spain, and school districts throughout the U.S. HACU is the only national association representing existing and emerging Hispanic-Serving Institutions (HSIs). The Association’s headquarters are in San Antonio, Texas, with regional offices in Washington, D.C. and Sacramento, California.

UCR is a member with the Hispanic Association of Colleges & Universities (HACU) which gives ALL UCR STUDENTS access to the HNIP and other HACU resources. Learn about HNIP and benefits for ALL UCR students, like assistance with internship searches, placement, and housing costs. 


Funding Resources for International Graduate Students and Postdocs

Below you may download a resource curated by GradSuccess for international graduate students and postdoctoral researchers. These funding opportunities do not require U.S. citizenship or permanent residence. This list is updated annually, so for the most up-to-date information about each funding opportunity, visit funding agency's website.

Writing Resources for Grants and Fellowships

The goal of writing a successful funding proposal is convincing a review panel that your project is worthwhile and unique and that you are the best person to carry it out. Visit the Graduate Writing Center for tips and guidance for putting together a strong proposal.



The Office of Financial Aid (2106 Student Services Building, Riverside, CA 92521, (951) 827-3878) assists students in meeting educational expenses they cannot afford from personal resources. Applicants must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for any need-based loans. FAFSA applications are available in December for the following academic year and must be filed annually. Apply online at the FAFSA website. In addition to submitting the FAFSA, various supporting materials to determine individual financial need may be required. UCR accepts applications on a year-round basis. Students are encouraged to apply early in order to ensure adequate processing time for loan funds to be available by the fee payment deadlines.

Additional information:


Employment Supplementation for Fellowship Holders

Fellowships are awarded to students to free them from the need for employment. Employment supplementation may be considered up to a total of 75% time for the year with no more than 50% employment in any one quarter.  
Fellowship awards with less than a $10,000 stipend may be supplemented as stated above without approval of the Dean. Fellowship awards with a stipend of $10,000 or higher may be supplemented as stated above only after approval of the Graduate Dean. The Graduate Advisor in your program must make the request of the Dean in writing. Fellowships that do not allow supplementation are the Eugene Cota-Robles Award (ECRA) and the Dissertation Year Fellowships (DYFA and DYP). The Graduate Research Mentorship Program (GRMP) allows only limited supplementation as a 25% Graduate Student Researcher appointment (GSR).


Policies Governing Award Recipients

There are many policies and guidelines governing students who receive funding awards. Those who receive these awards must maintain satisfactory progress and meet all requirements for their individual awards.

Maintaining Satisfactory Progress

To ensure continued funding of their awards, students must ensure that they continue with satisfactory progress towards their degree. These requirements include:

  • Maintaining the minimum grade point average required by the fellowship
  • Taking and passing all required coursework, exams, etc.
  • Fulfilling all TA requirements satisfactorily
  • Meeting fellowship GPA requirements, even for TA recipients awarded fellowships (normally exceed TA requirement)

Requirements for Students Receiving Multi-Year Awards 

Students receiving multi-year awards also have specific requirements. These awards are contingent upon:

  • Meeting academic standards
  • Completing the term(s) in which fellowship funding is received
  • Reporting requirements
  • Maintaining required course load
  • Fulfilling advancement to candidacy requirements
  • Not exceeding maximum (8 units) incomplete, "F" and/or NC grades
  • Reporting any change in status immediately. Any change in degree objective, change of field/department/program, leave of absence, extended absence from class, or withdrawal may affect funding and must be reported to the Graduate Division/Graduate School immediately
  • Reporting fellowship awards when filing taxes