Resources and Policies
Forms, Handbooks, & Links for Departments
- Employment Manual
Title Codes and Salaries for Graduate Academic Appointees
- Title Codes and Salaries for Graduate Academic Appointees as of 10/1/2018; for additional information see Article 29 of Labor Contract.
- UCOP Salary Scale for GSRS as of 10/1/2018.
- UCOP Salary Scale for TAs, Teaching Fellows, & Readers as of 10/1/2018
- UCOP Salary Scale for Associate Ins as of 10/1/2018
- UCOP Salary Scale for Tutors as of 10/1/2018
ASE Letter and Forms
- Sample Initial Appointment Letter for ASEs - All ASEs must be given an appointment letter and it has to follow the format in the sample initial appointment letter. It contains all the pertinent information required in the labor contract. Please forward electronic copies to Sonia Lepe, after all letters in your department are signed and completed.
- Sample Description of Duties Form #1 - Readers
- Sample Description of Duties Form #2 - Teaching Assistants/Fellows
- Employment Exception Request Form - should be used to request any employment exception
- ASE Childcare Reimbursement Form can be found at UC Net under "Academic Student Employee Child Reimbursement (UBEN 254)". Contact Jake Hurley, Labor Relations, if you have questions.
- ASE Leaves - Go to Human Resources. Select Leave of Absence>ASE forms. Contact Labor Relations if you have questions.
Labor Relations and the University of California-United Automobile Workers Labor Contract
All students in teaching titles are unionized at the University of California and referred to as ASEs or Academic Student Employees. That includes TAs, Associate Ins, Teaching Fellows, Readers and Tutors. For further information on the union and labor relations you should visit:
The University does not discriminate against any ASE on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, HIV status, status as a covered veteran, age, citizenship, political affiliation or union activity. Medical condition means any health impairment related to or associated with a diagnosis or cancer or health impairments related to genetic characteristics.
Supervision of Graduate Student Employees
Click here for Academic Personnel resources regarding the supervision of graduate student employees.