Fee Waiver Request forms for Summer and Fall 2022 will become available on September 7, 2021.
All fee waivers must be approved and applied to your online application prior to submission. Do not pay the application fee to submit your application prior to receiving a response from our office regarding your fee waiver request. We are unable to waive or refund the application once it has been paid.
Who is Eligible?
US Citizens, Permanent Residents, and Undocumented applicants who:
- Demonstrate financial need/financial hardship OR
- Be a current or recent participant in certain graduate preparation programs that qualify for a fee waiver
- Waiver requests need to be submitted a minimum of 5 business days prior to the graduate program’s posted application priority deadline. Complete requests will be processed within 2-3 business days by our office.
- The Graduate Admissions Office will be closed December 20, 2021 - January 2, 2022. Any requests received on or after December 16, 2021 will not be processed until the week of January 3, 2022.
If you don't qualify for either fee waiver option, attend our Open House virtual event to receive a $40 discount. The event takes place October 13 - 15, 2021.
Financial hardship fee waivers for the 2022-23 academic year will be available starting September 7, 2021. Fee waivers based on federal aid received or financial hardship are limited and require completion of our fee waiver request form. A financial hardship fee waiver can only be applied to one application. To demonstrate financial need, please see the below eligibility criteria and required documentation needed to upload to the request form.
- Federal Aid - current students with an Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) of $1,000 or less.
- Financial Hardship - Not exceeding the Gross Income Maximum based on your Household size provided in the below table. Household size is determined by the number of people you report or claim on your income tax forms for the previous year. If you are claimed as a dependent, your household size is determined by the total number of people claimed on your tax form (IRS 1040). A copy of this form must be submitted for verification of eligibility. If you are independent and have no earned income, you must document how you supported yourself for the past year and why you do not have sufficient funds to pay the application fee.
Gross Income Maximum
1 $17,820 2 $24,030 3 $30,240 4 $36,450 5 $42,660 6 $48,870 7 or more $55,095
- Federal Aid - Provide a copy of your letter from a financial aid officer at the institution you are currently attending or a Student Aid Report (SAR) generated from your current FASFA. The document must include your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC).
- Financial Hardship - Attach a copy of your most recently filed Federal Income Tax Return. Please provide IRS Form 1040 if you are not claimed as a dependent or a copy of the Federal Income Tax Return on which you are listed as a dependent. Please remove your Social Security Number by blacking out the numbers before providing these forms to our office.
Graduate Preparation Program
If you are a current or recent participant in any of the eligible graduate preparation programs, you may qualify for an application fee waiver to one graduate program at UC Riverside. For those who visited our booth at ABRCMS and SACNAS, you will receive an email with further instructions on how to request your application fee waiver.
Only U.S. Citizens and U.S. Permanent Residents may request a waiver for the application fee. If you are currently in a graduate program or recently completed one and your graduate preparation program participation was from your undergraduate program, you are not eligible for a fee waiver.
- Complete the first three sections of your online application.
- Complete and submit the fee waiver request form. Further instructions on proof of participation required are provided in the that form.
Please refer to your online application for the required deadline submission or program's noted priority deadline posted on their website. Make sure to submit the Application Fee Waiver Request form a minimum of 5-7 business days prior to the appropriate deadline. Our office will not be able to process a fee waiver without the submission of the request form and saved application.
- Alliances for Graduate Education and the Professoriate (AGEP)
- American Political Science Association Ralph Bunche Summer Institute Program (APSA RBSI Scholars)
- Building Infrastructure Leading to Diversity (BUILD-NIH)
- CAS Summer Research Program for Underrepresented Minorities and Women
- California State University (CSU) and University of California (UC) Bridge Program in Physics, Astronomy, Computer Science, and Computer Engineering (Cal-Bridge)
- California State University (CSU) Sally Casanova Pre-Doctoral Scholars Program
- California Diversity Forum (The California Forum for Diversity in Graduate Education)
- California Alliance for Minority Participation (CAMP)
- College of Natural and Agricultural Sciences (CNAS) STEM Pathway Program
- Consejo Nacional de Ciencia y Tecnología (CONACYT)
- Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
- The National GEM Consortium (GEM)
- Guardian Scholars Program
- Initiative for Maximizing Student Development (IMSD) - NIH Programs
- Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation (LSAMP)
- Math Alliance: F-Gap
- Minority Access to Research Careers (MARC)
- Minority Biomedical Research Support (MBRS)
- Mellon Mays Undergraduate Fellowship Program (MMUF)
- McNair Scholars Program
- Mentoring Summer Research Internship Program (MSRIP)
- National Association of African-American Honors Programs (NAAAHP)
- NIH Bridges to Doctorate Program (CSU Fresno or Northridge)
- NIH Postbaccalaureate Research Education Program (PREP)
- Questbridge Scholars
- Research Initiative for Science Enhancement (MBRS RISE)
- UC Historically Black Colleges and Universities Initiative (UC-HBCU)
- UC Leadership through Advanced Degrees (UC LEADS)
- UC Education Abroad Program (UCEAP) Reciprocity
If you don't see your program, please contact email@example.com to see if the program is eligible. At this time, we do not offer fee waivers for AmeriCorps or Peace Corps.