Check with your graduate program for eligibility requirements and program details prior to submitting an online application for any of the returning or continuing application options.

Change of Degree Objective

To change your degree objective withing the same major, i.e. Ph.D. in Economics to M.A. in Economics, complete the Change of Degree Objective petition with the Graduate Academic Affairs Office in Graduate Division.

Leave of Absence

To request a leave of absence from graduate studies for 1 - 3 quarters, log into R'Grad to access the Leave of Absence form.

Returning & Continuing Students

If you have ever registered as a graduate student at UCR and completed a minimum of one complete quarter, whether you completed a graduate program or not, you are considered a returning graduate student and may qualify for the following options: 

  • Add a Major (Enrolled Students)

    Currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to add another major with the approval of the new program and, importantly, their current program, (i.e., Computer Science PHD adding a Statistics MS). Please note that coursework used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.

  • Change of Major (Enrolled Students)

    Currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to change to another major with approval from the new program. Be aware that any financial support that you have received for your current major will not automatically apply to the new major. Please note that coursework used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.  

  • Re-Admission (Withdrawn Students)

    Students who were enrolled in a graduate program for one complete quarter or more and have withdrawn from the program can apply for re-admittance into that same graduate program. Re-admission is not required for students returning from an official leave of absence. If you plan to use filing fee status the same quarter as re-admission to the program, you must complete and submit the filing fee petition. You will also need to indicate your intent to return in your filing fee Statement of Purpose.  

Visit the UCR Graduate online application and select Login under Returning UCR Graduate Student Login located in the bottom right corner. To log in, you will need your UCR NetID and password, which is the same information you use to log into R’Web (previously GROWL).  Please visit our Deadlines page to find out when you will need to submit your online application.

Access our tutorial for submitting your modified online application.



Once the program submits the application to Graduate Division with their recommendation, Graduate Division has final approval. If any additional documentation is required, Graduate Academic Affairs will follow-up with the graduate program. You will be notified by email once the decision from Graduate Academic Affairs has been confirmed.  

Verification of support may be required depending on the application option selected. Information regarding this will be specified on your offer letter as this will need to be provided to International Students and Scholars to update your existing I-20 form. For re-admission, Graduate Admissions will issue a new I-20 form if required after any verification of support required in your offer letter is provided.  

If admitted and accepted, a final confirmation letter will be sent. Your current or previous student information (Student ID, NetID, password, and email address) will remain the same.  


Contact Info

For assistance, see which department below may be able to assist you.

Graduate Program

Contact Program Information

  • Eligibility Requirements
  • Support Materials
  • Application Status

Graduate Admissions

951-827-3313 (option 2)

  • Online Application Requirements and System
  • Issues Accepting Offer
  • Student Status Issues (Re-Admits)

Graduate Academic Affairs

Application Approver & Policy Questions

Kara Oswood



Graduate Academic Affairs

Application Approver & Policy Questions

Trina Elerts


  • Add a Major
  • Change of Major
  • Change of Degree Objective



International Students and Scholars Office


Required Verification of Support Requirements

  • Add a Major
  • Change of Major

Issuing or Updating I-20 or DS-2019 Form