GradEdge / JumpStart
UCR is one of the most diverse, fast-growing campuses in the UC system. Our GradEdge/JumpStart program contributes to this growth and diversity by offering incoming under-represented graduate students in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics the opportunity to get a "jump start" on their professional and academic development as part of a supportive cohort.
The eight-week summer program combines developmental seminars, community building activities, research activities, quantitative methods support, and guidance in preparing a fellowship application (for the NSF GRFP or Ford Foundation Predoctoral Fellowship). The dates of the 2022 summer program are July 11th - September 2nd. Please note that this program is offered as part of the student funding package rather than on an application basis. The program consists of the following components:
- conduct research in a lab with a faculty mentor
- attend a weekly fellowship writing class (for more information, see question #1 in our FAQ)
- attend a weekly statistics and programming bootcamp
- attend a weekly developmental seminar
- participate in a "journal club" meeting conducted by a faculty member (once or twice during the program)
- be invited to participate in additional community building events (not mandatory)
Information on which of these components will take place in person and which will be offered remotely will be posted later this Spring.
For more information, contact: