Tools, Training and Resources
There are a variety of tools and resources available to help faculty and students who want to know more about the responsible conduct of research. We will update this page periodically with resources we think might be useful.
Additional Training Opportunities Across Campus
There are many existing resources across campus that can serve as options for receiving training/education in RCR, and we will periodically update this list as we become aware of new opportunities.
1) UCR's Office of Research Integrity offers a monthly seminar series with discussions that highlight ethical dilemmas and hot topics involving research with human participants. The seminar is free and open to the public. Please go to https://research.ucr.edu/ori/seminar.aspx for dates and locations of future seminars in the series.
2) BMSC 254 (Fall Quarter): Science Practice and Professionalism. BMSC 254 covers proper conduct in science, from practical aspects such as data collection/presentation, statistical significance, and laboratory notebooks, to the philosophy of science such as the concept of a paradigm and hypothesis testing, to bioethics and professionalism. The course is structured around a set of didactic lectures, workshop sessions and guest speakers from different scientific professions.
A key UCR campus resource is the Office of the Ombuds (OO). The OO is a confidential, impartial, informal and independent resource that assists UCR community members, including students, faculty and staff, in discussing, addressing and/or resolving a difficult situation, dispute or ongoing conflict. Graduate students and post-docs may confidentially consult the Office of the Ombuds about UCR-related concerns including: research ethical dilemmas, conflicts with lab mates including PIs, and authorship disputes.Andrew Larratt-Smith
390 Surge Building
Tel: (951) 827-3213
Fax: (951) 827-4343
The following are key national resources and repositories for a wide range of pedagogical materials and useful guidance for faculty and students.
- US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Research Integrity
- Online Ethics Center for Engineering and Science, National Academy of Engineering
- National Center for Professional and Research Ethics: EthicsCORE
- Project for Scholarly Integrity, Council of Graduate Schools
- Responsible Conduct of Research for Postdocs, National Postdoctoral Association
- Resources for Research Ethics Education, UCSD