University of California, Riverside

Graduate Division

Graduate Admissions

Request More Info
University Office Building, Room 116   Tel: (951) 827-3313      Office Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:00AM - 5:00PM
900 University Avenue                            Fax: (951) 827-2238                 Closed from 12:00PM-1:00PM
Riverside, CA 92521                               E-mail:

                                       FALL 2019 APPLICATION OPEN
If the program you are interested in is not listed as an option, please contact them directly for more information.

Welcome from the Dean

Read the Dean's welcome message to new and prospective graduate students

Deadlines for Application

Check the schedule to find the deadlines for applications

New Applicants

If you are applying to UCR as a graduate student for the first time, or if you have applied before but were not admitted, complete all parts of the Application for Admission and submit the appropriate application fee. PLEASE REVIEW ALL APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS BY CLICKING ON THE LINKS TO THE LEFT.

Application Fee

  • $105.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents for all programs except the  MBA, MPAc and MFIN programs
    • $125.00 for U.S. citizens and Permanent Residents for the MBA, MPAc and MFIn programs
  • $125.00 for international/non-immigrant applicants for all programs except the MBA, MPAc and MFIN programs
    • $150.00 for international/non-immigrant applicants for the MBA, MPAc and MFIn programs

The nonrefundable application fee must be paid by credit card (VISA or MasterCard) prior to submission of your application.

Fee Waivers are available to qualified domestic applicants only. Waivers are not automatically granted and need to be approved prior to submission of your application. Only one fee waiver is allowed per student, per application period. We cannot issue refunds for any application fees already paid. 


If you filed an application for graduate admission at UCR within the last year and were admitted but did not register, submit a new application and appropriate application fee, and any additional or updated information or records. If you applied for admission more than one year ago, you must submit a new application, and all required materials.

Readmission/Change of Major/Add a Major Applications

Application Submission Deadline

Summer Quarter
(Re-admission only)

Fall Quarter

Winter Quarter

Spring Quarter

June 1st

September 1st

November 1st

March 1st

If you have ever registered as a graduate student at UCR, whether you completed a graduate program or not, you may qualify for the following options:

Add a Major: currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to add another major with the approval of the new program and importantly their current program, (i.e., Computer Science PHD adding a Statistics MS). Please note that course work used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.

Change of Major: currently enrolled UCR graduate students can request to change to another major with approval from the new applied program. Be aware that any financial support that you have received for your current major will not automatically apply to the new major. Please note that course work used to obtain one degree cannot be used towards degree requirements in another degree.

Re-Admission: students who were enrolled in a graduate program for one quarter or more and have withdrawn from the program can apply to re-admit back into that same graduate program. Re-admission is not required for students returning from an official leave of absence. If you plan to use filing fee status the same quarter as re-admission to the program, you must complete and submit the filing fee petition found at You will also need to indicate your intent to return on filing fee in your Statement of Purpose.

Always check with the graduate program first prior to submitting your online application for requirements and your eligibility to apply for these options. Visit our application instructions for application instructions, deadlines, and contact information.

If you are changing your degree objective only, i.e. PhD in Economics to MA in Economics, do not proceed with this on-line application. Please use the change of degree objective petition found at and submit to the Graduate Academic Affairs Office in the Graduate Division.

 Be aware that any financial support that you have received for your current major will not automatically apply to the new major.

 International students:

If you are a foreign student you will need to provide proof of financial support as well. Please speak to the International Student and Scholar office about your request to change or add majors. They will discuss with you any issues regarding your visa.

Admission Criteria

Read the general requirements for admission into UCR graduate programs

Fees, Fellowships and Financial Assistance

Quarterly schedule of fees and tuition is located on the general UCR website. Additional information about fellowship awards and other financial opportunities for graduate students.

California Residency for Tuition Purposes

10 Things Graduate Students Need To Know About CA Residence for Purposes Of Tuition And Fees

Additional information about California Residency for Tuition Purposes can be found on the University of California, Riverside website.

Review and Notification

Detailed review and initial recommendation to admit is made by the programs. However, only the official letter of admission from the Dean of the Graduate Division constitutes approval of admission to a graduate program at UCR, not correspondence with a program or with an individual faculty member.

The Graduate Admissions Office will make every effort to notify you of your admission status as soon as possible after receiving the admission recommendation from the program to which you are applying.

Duplication of Degree

Permission to work for a second master's degree in a NEW area may be approved on the individual merit of the application when there is little or no close relationship between the two subjects. Duplication of a master's degree in the same field is not permitted, and duplication of a doctorate is not permitted, regardless of the field of study. For example, if you hold an MS in Entomology you will not be approved to enter our master's program in Entomology but could be approved to enter a master's program in Statistics.

Medical Insurance Requirement

The University requires, as a condition of registration, that all graduate and professional students, including international students (on non-immigrant visas), have medical insurance coverage that meets the University's minimum requirements. A campus plan meeting these requirements is available. Find the appropriate contact for details regarding the campus Graduate Student Health Insurance Plan (GSHIP) or regarding the campus minimum requirements.

Fellowship recipients whose awards pay all assessed registration fees will have their premiums paid by the fellowship. Students who can demonstrate comparable insurance coverage from another source may apply to be exempted from the mandatory plan. Students awarded the exemption have the GSHIP fee removed from their bill but do not receive any monetary compensation. Deadlines for applying for the exemption are firm.

Ethnic Identity and U.S. Military Service

Providing information about your ethnic identity or U.S. Military service is voluntary. The Graduate Admissions Office uses ethnicity information to measure the effectiveness of its efforts towards achieving diversity and to fulfill state and federal reporting requirements. Information concerning veteran status allows our campus to provide information about campus resources for veterans.

Social Security Number Disclosure

Providing your Social Security Number on the UCR graduate application is voluntary. This information is used to match your applicant file to GRE/GMAT test scores received electronically and is required for the processing of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) application. Without this piece of matching criteria, all test score verification and subsequent application processing could be delayed. In addition, the Social Security Number is required before the dispersal of any stipend, fee payment or employment salary as part of a Graduate Fellowship or Financial Support package. Applicants without Social Security Numbers will have financial aid award packaging delayed. If not provided on the original graduate application, newly admitted students would be required upon arrival on campus to present the actual Social Security Number card for verification at the Office of the Registrar.

State of California Information Practices Act

The State of California Information Practices Act of 1977 requires the University to provide the following information to applicants for admission who are asked to supply information about themselves; The principal purpose for requesting the information on this form is to process your application for admission for which positive identification of academic records and test scores is required. In addition, if you are applying for financial aid, positive identification must be determined as well as eligibility for aid. Maintenance of this information is authorized by University policy. The officials responsible for maintaining the information contained on the application are the Chairperson of the program to which you are applying and the Dean of the Graduate Division.

UCR Nondiscrimination Policy

The University of California, in accordance with applicable Federal and State law and University policy, does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, medical condition (cancer-related), ancestry, marital status, citizenship, sexual orientation, or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran. The University also prohibits sexual harassment. This nondiscrimination policy covers admission, access, employment, and treatment in University programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the University's student-related nondiscrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action officer, (951) 827-5604.

Student Special Services

Student Special Services provides services for students with disabilities, veteran's educational benefits, ROTC referral, Selective Service and Draft Information, voter registration

UCR General Catalog

UCR's General Catalog

Campus Security and Crime Report

The "Jeanne CLERY Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act of 1998," commonly referred to as the "CLERY Act," requires institutions of higher education receiving federal financial aid to report specified crime statistics on college campuses and to provide other safety and crime information to members of the campus community.

University of California Degree Search Tool

The University of California offers 600+ graduate degree programs across ten campuses.  To find what is offered search the database at . You can also visit the UC graduate admissions website for more information.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Graduate Division
University Office Building

Tel: (951) 827-4302
Fax: (951) 827-2238