University of California, Riverside

Graduate Division

Self-Support Graduate Programs

What Are Self-Support Graduate Programs?

There are several self-support graduate programs (SSP) at UCR.  These graduate programs serve a public need by addressing the training requirements of a profession (or degree).  The programs operate on a self-supporting basis which means that they are required to cover the full cost of the program (including program faculty & other direct costs, campus direct and indirect costs, and UCOP funding assessments). 

The Graduate Division administers admission to each of these programs, but it is highly recommended that interested applicants contact the individual programs for information about admission requirements.

Self-support programs may charge a per-unit or per-term fee.  Students enrolling in these programs cannot use Cal Vet Tuition/Fee Exemptions.   Not all programs charge the Graduate Student Health Insurance Premium (GSHIP).

The Student Recreation Center (SRC) fee is not charged as part of the per-unit fees for self-support programs.  Students who wish to access the SRC may contact them and make arrangements to pay the membership fee separate from the per-unit fees.

See below for details and links to more information about each program. 

FAQs for Self-Support Programs

How much do the self-support programs cost?
Each program has a different fee structure.  Please visit the Registrar's Office web site for a breakdown of the current fee structure.  The Palm Desert Low-Residency MFA program also has an additional residency fee for each of the five residencies required for completion of the program.

Will I also be charged a professional fee for the self-support program that I enroll in?
No.  Students enrolled in the traditional MBA program will be charged a professional fee, but the self-support programs are not assessed this fee.

I noticed that traditional graduate programs include UC Systemwide Fees and also UCR Campus Fees.  Is that the case with self-support programs as well?
No.  Students enrolled in self-support programs only pay the per unit charges, and in some cases they are assessed the Graduate Student Health Insurance Premium (GSHIP).  Only the Online Master's of Science in Engineering and the Palm Desert MFA do not automatically include the GSHIP charge.

How do I apply for one of these self-support programs and what are the application requirements?
Each program has different requirements for admission.  Each program's admissions process is administrated by the Graduate Division, but it is always best to visit the web site for the individual program for specific requirements and to make arrangements to speak to someone associated with that program about your admission questions.  The programs offered by the A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management (FMBA, MFin, MPAc) often host information sessions, both virtual and in person, where you can learn more about the programs.

Will I need to take the GRE or GMAT in order to be admitted to these programs?
All of the self-support programs require the GRE or GMAT except the Palm Desert Low-Residency MFA.

What do I need to do in order to get financial aid to help me with the cost of attendance?
In order to be considered for federal, state, or institutional financial aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).  FAFSA is available for submission starting January 1 for the following academic year.  Some of the self-support programs also offer internal awards which may be need based or merit based depending on the award.  Visit the individual program web sites for information about those types of awards.

What if I want to enroll in one of the self-support programs that charge the GSHIP but I have my own health insurance?
You can apply for a waiver of the GSHIP by contacting Student Health Services and submitting the waiver form.  You must be able to prove that you have comparable or better coverage from another source.

If I drop a class, how will it affect my fees?
Students in the following Self-Supporting Graduate Programs will receive a 100% refund on their per unit tuition when dropping/withdrawing from some classes during the term.  If a student withdraws from UCR for the term, refunds will be given per the UCR Campus Standard Fee Refund Table on the Registrar's web site.

  • Flex MBA Porgram
  • Executive MBA Program
  • Master of Finance Program
  • Master of Professional Accountancy Program
  • Palm Desert MFA in Creative Writing and Writing for the Performing Arts

Students in the Online Master of Science in Engineering Program will be refunded per the UCR Campus Standard Fee Refund Table on the Registrar's web site for all course adjustments after the first day of instruction and for withdrawing from the university for the term.

Flex MBA Program (FMBA)

The Flex MBA program is an MBA program experience tailored according to an individual's schedule.  Offered through the A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management, students are allowed flexibility and convenience in attaining the degree.  The program offers evening courses so that students can still work or meet other day-time obligations while enrolled.  The program can be completed in as little as 20 months, or can be taken over several years.  80 quarter units are required in order to complete the Flex MBA.

Master of Finance Program (MFin)

The Master of Finance Program through the A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management offers a comprehensive overview of the entire field of finance, with an emphasis on empirical methods and applications.  The degree is designed to be completed in approximately three quarters (one year, 48 quarter units).  This degree is often preferred by students who seek to pursue professional certifications in finance like Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) and Global Remuneration Professional (GRP). 

Master of Professional Accountancy Program (MPAc)

The Master of Professional Accountancy Program is designed to be completed in approximately nine months (48 quarter units).  The goal of the program is to prepare students to become ideal accounting and auditing professionals.  The degree is offered by the A. Gary Anderson Graduate School of Management.

Online Master of Science in Engineering (OMSE)

The Online Master of Science in Engineering Program is offered through UCR's Bourns College of Engineering.  It is designed to enable fully employed engineers to advance their professional education.  All courses are offered online.  There are five different specialization areas: Bioengineering, Electrical Engineering - Power Systems, Environmental Engineering Systems (Water), Materials at the Nanoscale, and Mechanical Engineering.  The program takes approximately two years to complete (9 courses, 36 units). 

Palm Desert Low-Residency Master of Fine Arts in Creative Writing
and Writing for the Performing Arts (MFA)

The MFA Program, offered through UCR's Palm Desert Campus, offers specializations in fiction, nonfiction, poetry and screenwriting as well as forms within those genres.  The goal is to provide instruction in not just writing, but also in publishing and production.  Students take seven quarters of online study and complete five 10-day residencies in Palm Springs, CA (56 units total are required for the degree).  The final thesis residency concentrates on having thesis manuscripts read by agents, producers and publishers. 

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Graduate Division
University Office Building

Tel: (951) 827-4302
Fax: (951) 827-2238