University of California, Riverside

Graduate Division

General Requirements for State Funding

Eligibility for State Funding

  • U.S. citizen
  • Permanent resident
  • California resident. If not resident, must obtain residency status by the next academic year.
  • Follow all application instructions to the letter and meet all deadlines.


Funding opportunities are based upon merit. These can include:

  • High quality academic standing based on bachelor’s record and/or master’s record
  • Strong letters of recommendation from faculty advisors
  • Strong GRE scores
  • Good research experience
  • TA experience
  • Publications
  • Accomplishments
  • High quality writing sample
  • Department/program interview

These merit criteria will be considered regardless of where you apply to graduate school, with a particular emphasis on academic standing, GRE scores, letters and research experience.

Some of the same requirements may be applicable for extramural awards, and other criteria relevant to successful completion of a graduate degree may also be considered.

The graduate dean will provide some oversight with the administration of both campus and extramural awards. This is the case even when fellowship stipends are paid directly to the students. The fee portion of the award is always administered by the institution and is usually included in what is termed "cost of education allowance."

Any excess of the educational allowance not used for fees and/or tuition may, in some cases, be requested for use by the student for other educational costs, such as attending a conference, purchasing research supplies or equipment, computers or printers, etc.

Processes for Consideration of Internal Financial Support

Like most institutions, UC Riverside considers all admitted applicants for support. Nominations for new or continuing student funding is sent by the departments/programs to the graduate dean for approval. Students are informed of their admission and award package simultaneously.

  • Admission application may allow selection of interest in financial support, including type of support (e.g., TA, GSR, fellowship, etc.)
  • As a courtesy, if you choose to not use an award, announce your intent to decline the award as soon as possible to allow the funds to be reallocated to other students.
  • April 15 is the national deadline for notification of acceptance/declination of admission/award

Upon receiving and accepting an award, students should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). For non-resident students, they should immediately begin establishing residency within California. This includes:

  • Opening a bank account
  • Registering to vote
  • Obtaining state driver’s license or I.D
  • Filing initial residency paperwork with Office of Registrar

Within twelve months, students should file additional required paperwork with Office of the Registrar, resulting in non-resident tuition paid in the first year only.

More Information 

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Contact Information

Graduate Division
University Office Building

Tel: (951) 827-4302
Fax: (951) 827-2238